Re: UNIX vs. NT functionality -- NetView 5.1.2 level

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: UNIX vs. NT functionality -- NetView 5.1.2 level
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:37:49 -0700
Mark,
I'll give you a few examples from the NT side...

1)  I wrote a (perl) script that executed a remote SQL query on
    a remote node.  The remote-querey told me the health of the database
    on the remote-system.

    Using the nvsniffer on NT... I used the standard "port-sniff" discovery
    option to find my SQL-servers, and then use my perl-script to actually
    give me the health of the remote database.  nvsniffer used the status
    of this script to set the status of my "database" icon at the interface
    level.

2)  I got a public-domain perl script that returns a web-page from a
    web-site.  I modified it slightly to work with nvsniffer, and used the
    standard port-sniff to sniff-out all my web-servers (port 80), and then
    used the perl-script to validate that I was actually getting pages from
    the web-server.  nvsniffer was again used for icon control at the
    interface level, as well as taking care of scheduling which nodes were
    automatically polled, and when.

    I also added some code to my script which puts info into the ovw
    database, so that I now not only know if my web-servers are up or not,
    but also what the round-trip time is to get a page.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gary Boyles, Intel