Re: UNIX vs. NT functionality -- NetView 5.1.2 level

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: UNIX vs. NT functionality -- NetView 5.1.2 level
From: Mark van Kerkwyk <kerkwyk@COMTECH.COM.AU>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:03:31 +1100
Hi James, thanks for your answer.
     I must say that I am a little confused about the NT/UNIX strategy, our
customers put in UNIX builds of Netview because there was more functionality, in
particular, NT having no rules editing capability make it useless and it doesn't
make sense to go and buy a UNIX Netview server just for generating rules and
then have another NT box running the rules.

Is there any reason why NT has more functionality in some cases but still
missing some of the major functions such as full rules editing etc capabilities.

All of my customers really want nvsniffer to do port status checking and are
confused as to why after investing in UNIX hardware etc, they must now put an
extra NT machine to perform the function of port status checking.

For those customers who don't run any rules, I have some who are effectively not
using Netview anymore in their environment and putting in What's Up Gold running
on Windows 95 as it does port status checking, provides % uptime and has a
better alerting mechanism, ann all for under 1K.

Mark

James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM> on 13/09/99 22:46:25

<NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>