Re: UNIX vs. NT functionality -- NetView 5.1.2 level

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: UNIX vs. NT functionality -- NetView 5.1.2 level
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:24:22 -0500
James Shanks wrote:

> Ok, Guys, now it is my turn to betray my deep-seated ignorance of NT and of
> even
> our product on NT.
>
> Gary --  How do you start multiple TESS windows?  I don't see a GUI option for
> that.
>
> Chris --  What in the world is VNC?   I know what Tivoli Remote Control (RC)
> is
> but it seems to me that is a very long way around to get multiple windows on
> an
> NT workstation.  Or do you know something I don't?

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
Works in both directions X <-> win32, with multiple displays.
(Also works from a java enabled browser).  And it can be routed through
ssh now!

> And a couple of comments.
>
> Since perl V4 is actually shipped with the current Framework, it is unlikely
> that NetView will add native support for that, in my view.

I was just commenting on the fact that the NT people chose to integrate
Tcl (which is an inferior choice IMHO).   Also, MS has announced that
they will be shipping ActiveState perl5 with Win2000.

Don't get me started on the Tivoli Framework and perl V4.

> I wouldn't get my hopes up for a Linux port to save a mere $700.  If memory
> servers me correctly, NetView for UNIX is $15K, so that would be just a 5 per
> cent savings.  And if they add yet another operating system as a supported
> configuration, I would expect the price to go up.  Even if Linux is free, and
> even if the port is a piece of cake (which I doubt), there is still the cost
> of
> testing all the code and rewriting the doc and providing the machines and
> resources to do the builds and so on which will have to be accounted for.
> Every
> new platform causes an exponential testing requirement because of all the new
> permutations in deployment (e.g - can a Linux client talk to NetView Solaris
> server?). So you may well see your savings eaten up by a price increase in the
> application.

I hear you, but ... $700 is going to balloon into a much higher price
tag with Win2000.

In addition to the other things.   There's a lot of support for the
newer IP protocols (e.g. V6)  Like I said earlier, if not Netview, how
about the MLM?