RE: Managing Private addresses with Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Managing Private addresses with Netview
From: Gareth_Holl@tivoli.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:09:57 -0500
I think the NetView Server is suppose to see every node that it or its MLMs
are managing, at least once. I doubt whether you can have the MLMs manage
nodes in their own subnet which the NetView Server doesn't have in its
databases and on its maps. I'm not sure if this would be of much use to you
anyway. The most you could do if it were possible is receive a trap from
the MLM to report a node in its subnet as going down or up - then you would
be managing via the Event Browser instead of the maps which I imagine would
be a nightmare.

I'm thinking that you could setup your environment to allow the NetView
Server to discover all nodes and the MLMs, then offload the remote nodes to
the MLM for management, and then restrict access and allow the NetView
Server to only talk to the MLM via icmp and snmp. This should work except
that now you would have no backup facility if the MLM went down -
everything the MLM was managing would also appear down I suspect or maybe
be white if you're using NetView v6.

Maybe I don't quite understand what you are trying to do but the NetView
Server will need to have all nodes being managed in its databases and maps
to be of any use to you. I hope this helps.

Gareth Holl
Software Engineer
gholl@tivoli.com

Tivoli Systems / IBM Corporation
Research Triangle Park,  NC  27703.    1-800-TIVOLI-8

"Painter, Bill" <BPainter@GILATFLORIDA.com> on 11/03/2000 09:40:11 AM