RE: Managing Private addresses with Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Managing Private addresses with Netview
From: "Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:42:52 -0500
A) Netview won't create objects with the same IP address.
B) The MLM is not the parent of anything. It is only assigned
responsability
for polling the status of things Netview already knows about. It can do
discovery, but only on its own subnet.

The problems inherent in this sort of scenario are the very reason
there are NATs and CNAT in particular. CNAT translates IP addresses
included in the payload, so you snmp queries as well as their responses
are completely usable by Netview. I think that if you go down this road
far enough you will have developed your own CNAT.

Detroit

"Painter, Bill" <BPainter@GILATFLORIDA.com>@tkg.com on 11/03/2000 11:06:32
AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com