[nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView
From: "Eric Pobst" <epobst98@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:15:26 +0000
The battle continues??

Does anyone have or could point me in the direction of a document that outlines the ?NetView vs. OpenView? pro?s/con?s list. Currently at this client site we use NetView to monitor all hardware on 100+ aix servers and in the beginning stages of rolling the networks into the equation. The problem lying, in that the network group has been using OpenView for a few years now and they are somewhat convinced NetView would not meet their requirements (99% Cisco network devices). So far with absolute certainty, I can only come up with 3 pts. why they should use NetView.

1. It is paid for (big one)
2. It is already integrated with our Tivoli/Remedy Ticketing system
3. They would not have to support the NetView product

Off course, these seem more like ?salesman? points, I would prefer to provide them a technical capability list. Unfortunately I have not fully explored the Network monitoring capabilities of NetView and I have only book knowledge of OpenView, either way, I do not want to steer them wrong.

Thanks.

Eric