Re: [nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView

To: "Eric Pobst" <epobst98@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 19 Jul 2002 11:10:34 -0500
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
"Eric Pobst" <epobst98@hotmail.com> writes:
> The battle continues??
>
> Does anyone have or could point me in the direction of a document that
> outlines the ?NetView vs. OpenView? pro?s/con?s list.
> Currently at this client site we use NetView to monitor all hardware
> on 100+ aix servers and in the beginning stages of rolling the
> networks into the equation.  The problem lying, in that the network
> group has been using OpenView for a few years now and they are
> somewhat convinced NetView would not meet their requirements (99%
> Cisco network devices).

Do they cite why..or what specific monitoring they're doing in
openview that they don't think can be done in netview?  Our network is
largely Cisco....

> So far with absolute certainty, I can only come up with 3 pts. why
> they should use NetView.
>
> 1. It is paid for (big one)

But wouldn't their existing openview be identical in this respect?

> 2. It is already integrated with our Tivoli/Remedy Ticketing system

This is key.

> 3. They would not have to support the NetView product

It's still imprortant for the netview admins and the network admins to
remain tight.

> Off course, these seem more like ?salesman? points, I would
> prefer to provide them a technical capability list.  Unfortunately I
> have not fully explored the Network monitoring capabilities of NetView
> and I have only book knowledge of OpenView, either way, I do not want
> to steer them wrong.

I'd have to think they could do the monitoring they seek with either
of the tools.  Picking which one to consolidate to is the key.  That
they have an existing Tivoli/Remedy ticketing system integrated seems
to be compelling.

I too would be curious to find out more about openview's capabilities
in contrast to netview.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.