RE: [nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView
From: "kent robinson" <robinsonkent@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 04:53:53 +0000
Here's my take:

Mike - I'm not sure having over 40 programs to accomplish network and system management is an impressive thing. In fact, the current issues with the extended topology (layer 2 from Riversoft) is:
- only scales to 500 nodes
- GUI is NOT tied into OV NNM, so now we have 2 GUI's to see the network issue - it took over 1 1/2 years for them to bring a limited functionality to the market - although a GUI is nice to view, but in a larger environment, GUI's tend not to scale. In fact, most larger environments don't even use Cisco WAN manager due to all the 'connections' on the screen, you can't see anything! Imagine when OV ET supports more than 500 nodes in the next 2 years.

NetView has to offer:
- advanced GUI, Availability on the screen (no extra product to monitor, install or maintain, all in one) - headless web options, meaning I don't need to have OV running in order to see product via the web - as well, if I want to view it through the firewall, I can with 1 port, not a ton of ports being opened - from my understanding, the switch analyzer supports the current NV without any additional configuration (haven't tested, but have requested it. Anyone else found this out? Also, my colleague told me that it does correlation without rule writing, how does this work any tivoli person know about this?) NV does do the layer 2 diagnostics via the gui
- Smartsets.  Need I say more.
- RFI does more than OV ECS out of the box. No configurations. (Tivoli persons, curious how this works with Layer 2 Analyzer?)

Pricing used to be a big difference, however, it is now a level playing field with Tivoli's announcements earlier this year. Yes, we do a lot of install's of OV NNM, but we don't make any money with HP unless we install agents. Customer's are not wanting the maintenance of agents anymore. Don't know if Tivoli has a better approach, any info on this?

hth, kent