RE: [nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView

To: "'ADAMCZYK Herbert'" <herbert.adamczyk@it-austria.com>, "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView
From: "IMHOFF,MICHAEL (HP-Denmark,ex1)" <michael_imhoff@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:49:07 +0200
I agree that 90% is your processes and organization and 10% is your tools.
And that you need to look at functional areas. NetView and NNM basically
only does fault management.

And you are right that in the past a number of network management
applications integrated with NNM. A few still does and actually requires NNM
like Cisco Wan Manager (StrataView).

NNM has been doing level-2 discovery since 97 based on the bridge MIB (just
like Switch Analyzer). This didn't work well (problem with the support of
the bridge MIB from some vendors) and in addition it now uses NMOS combined
with the build in event correlation (since version 6) called ECS (Event
Correlation Services). This is a technology initially developed for the
OpenView telecom products.

The NNM web GUI also integrates other applications just like the native GUI
(via registration files). With NNM 6.31 a J2EE application server is build
in as well.

NNM doesn't run on Linux (only HP-UX, Solaris, NT and Win2k), but OpenView
in general do have agents.

Michael.