RE: [nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView

To: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] NetView vs. OpenView
From: "IMHOFF,MICHAEL (HP-Denmark,ex1)" <michael_imhoff@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:27:08 +0200
Cc: "'Eric Pobst'" <epobst98@hotmail.com>
NNM is the network management (SNMP) platform of the OpenView family like
NetView is for Tivoli. But OpenView is more than 40 other products covering
e.g. performance management (OpenView Performance for systems and OV
Performance Insight for Networks), system and application fault management
(OV Operations), Internet management (OV Internet Services), change,
configuration, SLA and helpdesk management (OV Service Desk) just to mention
a few. OpenView is not a product. It's a marketing brand.

>From what I've seen of Switch Analyzer it's less than what NNM could do in
version 5 back in 97. As far as I understand it's not even graphical.

NNM ET combines the level-2 and VLAN views you see in e.g. CiscoWorks Campus
Manager with level-2 root cause detection.

I don't mean to advertise for OpenView in this forum (the OpenView Forum
mailing list is the place to ask if you want more information or simply look
at www.openview.hp.com), but I will answer technical questions based on my
experiences with OpenView as well as NetView in my work as a consultant.

Michael.