Re: [nv-l] SNMP set error: no such name

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP set error: no such name
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@kardinia.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:35:43 +1000
Manish,

You say you are trying this on your company's Agent. Have you implemented a v3
Agent (or a multi version v1/v2c/v3 agent?)

If so, and if you are trying to do a Set from a v1 Manager , while you have v3
Authentication turned on, I think you will get an authorization error. If the
agent is multi version, it will recognize your Manager as v1 and translate the
error to "noSuchName" before sending it.

You say the Set works using the SNMP Research utilities. Try this using the v1
option on the utilities and see if you get the same error message. If so,
browse the MIB with the utilities, look for snmpInBadCommunityUses, and see if
it is being incremented.

You also mention that you are trying to change the rowStatus from "valid".
This
does not appear in the list of allowed values for rowStatus.

At 05:45 PM 26/05/2003 +0700, Manish Purwar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using NetView 7.1.3 on windows.
>
> We are trying to set the values of MIB objects of our companies product
> Agent,
> through NetView Web Console MIB Browser (SNMPv1/v2). We are using SNMP
> Research Agent implementation.
>
> When we are trying to change the status of the rows (of table) from
> "valid" to any state like "notInService", then the set operation is getting
> failed with the error message "noSuchName".
>
> Now we are changing the status of the row from "valid" to "notInService",
> using SNMP Research Agent utilities. Now we are able to set the values
> of that row using NetView Web Console MIB Browser but we are not
> able to set the status of this row to "active". Again we are getting the
> "noSuchName" error.
>
> So it seems that we are not able to set the values of MIB objects when
> the row status is "active" and when the row status is any thing other than
> "active" then we are not able to change that to "active" using NetView
> Web Console MIB Browser.
>
> Can any body give me any clues, why is it happening like this?
>
> TIA.
>
> Best regards,
> Manish Purwar

Joe Fernandez