RE: [nv-l] MIB Bata Collector Problem and Very big snmpcol.trace

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] MIB Bata Collector Problem and Very big snmpcol.trace
From: "Karl Prinelle" <Karl.Prinelle@elyzium.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:43:13 +0100
No problem at all.

There's no real set of metrics on how big a network is before it needs
*nix - more rule of thumb.  The Netview doc's do say that Netview on
Windows is rated up to 13,000 objects and beyond that you should call
support for advice.  Personally I'd not go close to that limit on
Windows.

Anyway, for the number of routers you have now and the size of them -
I'd certainly use Linux (if that is your only *nix choice) -
particularly because you need data collection.  That said I already use
that OS so I'm happier with it - but it wasn't that bad to learn when I
moved from Windows myself.

>From the info available your network doesn't sound like a very big one
for netview & from the info I wouldn't have thought you need more than
one netview machine (of course if you have complex/fast polling / other
needs then you may want to look at MLM).

I would say though that some of the routers are quite large & if they
have a lot of configured interfaces then that can be the cause of your
Win Netview problems.  Using *nix would avoid this since you can set
maxpdus to a lower value.

What I'd suggest (if you can) is to build another NV server using Linux
(as a test a chunky pc will do), perform a minimal config
(@limit_discovery in netmon.seed & only put your routers in the seed) &
get it to do some data collection to see how it goes.  I've done this
out of desperation at a customer in the past (where I first had the data
collect problems) & using solaris it just stood up & worked.

hth

---
Karl Prinelle
Elyzium Ltd
Office: +44 (0)1753 515000
Mobile: +44 (0)7813 189198

E-mail: karl.prinelle@elyzium.co.uk

Website:www.elyzium.co.uk

---
Elyzium Disclaimer:
This email transmission is confidential and intended solely for the
person
or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the information,
or
take any action in reliance of it. Any views expressed in this message
are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states
them to be the views of any organisation or employer.
If you have received this message in error, do not open any attachment
but please notify the sender (above) deleting this message from your
system.
Please rely on your own virus check no responsibility is taken by the
 sender for any damage arising out of any bug or virus infection.
---