Re: [nv-l] nv-l X Window Zooming

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] nv-l X Window Zooming
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:42:15 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:58:41 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Chris,
The map will only zoom to x10(possibly x15) but that is
as far it will go. However, even at the greatest zoom,
you should be able to select devices. Are they still to
small? If that is the case, I have some advice,
location.conf. Take some time to think about how you
can break down that map into logical groupings(geography,
business unit....) and then build your map from the
location.conf. I have seen maps with >70,000 objects
that were laid out very nicely. You will be doing
youself a great service. There is one guy who reads
this list that has about 20,000 objects on his map and
can rediscover the whole thing in about 20 minutes. He
doesn't even keep backups because he can rediscover
and redraw the map to his liking automagically. Its a
pretty slick setup.It will take some time and will
involve a good deal of tedious work, but in the end
if done properly, it makes NetView a very nice Window
to your network. This is all of course my humble
opinion.

Paul

Christopher J Petrina wrote:
using X windows I can only zoom in so far on the map, and being that it is placing the devices very far apart from one another (Why does it do this anyways: I think I know why but looking for real reason), I can only zoom in so far and then I cannot select any devices. I could use the autolayout and turn it off, but then no devices would be placed in the proper containers I have created using location.conf. Is this a limit of my X windows ability?

TIA
Chris Petrina

service._______________________________________________________________

Note:  Please update your email address for this user to reflect the
new MeadWestvaco Corporation.  MeadWestvaco employee email addresses
are in the format of user@MeadWestvaco.com
This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named.  If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster@MeadWestvaco.com.