RE: [nv-l] using SNMP trap to change object attribute

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] using SNMP trap to change object attribute
From: "Allison, Jason \(JALLISON\)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:41:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:42:48 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
My expertise is with the NetView API, there may be a much easier way of
accomplishing this via other mechanisms.  That said, if I were to approach this
problem, which I will define as "Being notified when ABC trap arrives and
hasn't arrived for some interval", I would start with an application that
registered with trapd to be notified when ABC trap arrives.  This application
could also register with OVw so that it may set object and symbol statuses.

1.  When trap arrives, set some value on device.

2.  Internal processing to determine when a timeout has occurred for a device,
set value as appropriate.

This would most likely involve more work than what you are looking for.  Also,
if we are talking about a few thousand devices, it may not be the most
efficient solution.

Another option would be to have an action occur when ABC event arrives.  You
could have this action 'snmp set' some value on the remote device and add that
value to your Smart Set (Collection ?), queried, polled, etc.  You would need
some mehcanism to determine when you would need to remove that setting, getting
us back to our timer issue.

This timer issue is there is no mechanism I am aware of that will fire after a
certain event has not occurred over a period of time.  This would require a
Management Solution (NetView, et al) to maintain a relationship between traps
received, timer values, and devices as alarms are being received.  Another
division here uses a solution that will catalog traps/events as they arrive,
and in turn set a timer if an event has not been "resolved" after a period of
time.  Though I am not aware of any functionality that will allow the MS to be
configured to report when alarms have not been received.

If the BGP traps have a failure and resolution condition, this whole discussion
is moot as the resolution event would act as the trigger to remove the device
from the SmartSet.

Hope that helps,
Jason