RE: [nv-l] using SNMP trap to change object attribute

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] using SNMP trap to change object attribute
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:10:36 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:11:18 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I do that sort of thing like this:
1) add a field to my custom fields file /usr/OV/fields/C/My.fields
Field "My_Trap_Flag" {
        Type    String;
        Flags   locate, general;

}
Run 'ovw -fields' after messing with a fields file.
2) In trapd.conf, define the traps of interest as having a trap source of 'Y' instead of the usual 'A' or 'u'
3) Make a Netview ruleset that with an Event Attribute cube that checks trap source for 'Y' and invokes an action '<path>/TrapFlag.sh -set $NVA'
4) Make that ruleset run in the background (/usr/OV/conf/ESE.automation)
5) write a little script TrapFlag.sh that uses nvdbimport to set the field 'My_Trap_Flag' to TRUE for the node that the trap is from.
6) On the reports menu (/usr/OV/reports/C) add two scripts to call that script: TrapFlagSet.sh and TrapFlagClear.sh

Trap_Flag_Set.sh
#!/bin/ksh
# Set trap flag to True for the selected nodes.
name=$(basename $0)
xnmappmon -geometry 680x500 -commandTitle "$name" \
   -commandHeading "Setting Trap Flag to TRUE for Selected Nodes " \
   -cmd <path>/TrapFlag.sh -set $OVwSelections

Trap_Flag_Clear.sh
#!/bin/ksh
# Set Trap Flag to false for the selected nodes.
name=$(basename $0)
xnmappmon -geometry 680x500 -commandTitle "$name" \
   -commandHeading "Setting Trap Flag to FALSE for Selected Nodes " \
   -cmd <path>/TrapFlag.sh -clear $OVwSelections

Users can execute those functions against one or more nodes selected on the map. Usually they would only use the clearing one. But the setting one is handy for testing.

The job of the TrapFlag.sh script is to generate an import file that looks like this:
  Selection Name,My_Trap_Flag
  nodename,TRUE  (or FALSE on the clear)
and run nvdbimport to set the values for the nodes selected on the map, or indicated by the rule. See the man page for nvdbimport. There are samples in /usr/OV/conf/nvdbtools.

Then make your problem smartset include the criteria " || My_Trap_Flag=TRUE

The operators will know that green things in the problem smartset are there because of traps. They should look up the events for that node to see what they are. I usually provide another function on that reports menu that does a grep in trapd.log for the selected node. You could do the grep right from the script in /usr/OV/reports/C, but I usually have it all another one in my custom scripts directory. The reason for this is so I can offer the same function to web console users as I do to the Motif users.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

"Freter, Craig" <Craig.Freter@ssa.gov>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

01/26/2005 04:16 PM
Please respond to

"'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] using SNMP trap to change object attribute

Jason,

I assumed that if we set attribute 'IP Status', then it would get reset the
next time NetView polls the device. If we set another attribute, then I
assume we will have to reset manually, or use a clearing trap to reset the
attribute. Can an attribute be set to clear after a certain period of time?

How would you suggest that we do this?

Thanks.

--
Craig Freter