RE: [nv-l] Polling Intervals Info!

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Polling Intervals Info!
From: "Colin Mulkerrins" <Colin.Mulkerrins@anpost.ie>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:40:25 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:40:56 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Larry,

Is it a TEC rule that is holding the event?.  In my shop we run a script
against the trap on the netview server whenever an interface down event
comes in - the script polls the device 3 times with a 20 second sleep
between each poll - if the interface is still down after the 3rd poll we
then send an alert.  When we started out we saw a very large number of
interface down alerts (essentially whenever a router hiccuped - which
happens regularly) hence the delays and polls.

The timeouts were agreed with our network team (not sure whether its
industry standard or not) and they seem to be happy that the alerts they
get are proper.

Regarding the 10 minute hold in TEC - have a look at your rulebase,
there is probably a rule there which is holding the event in cache
waiting for a clearing (interface_up) event for 10 minutes - it should
be easy enough to reduce the wait time.

Regs

Colin M.