Re: [nv-l] Polling Intervals Info!

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Polling Intervals Info!
From: Paul Stroud <nvladmin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 07:52:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:53:23 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Larry,
This is actually pretty simple;-)

With the polling set as you have it:

netmon will poll each device once every three minutes, it will
wait 5 seconds for a reply and will try a total of 4 times per
device if there are any failures.

For the question about how netmon polls(sequential vs simultaneous),
the answer is yes. Netmon has a fixed(but configurable) number of
threads available for polling, for each ICMP and SNMP. So netmon will
poll X number of devices at the same time and then all devices as it gets
around to them.

To see the list of devices being polled you can run:

netmon -a 12 (to see what netmon is polling via ICMP)
netmon -a 16 (to see what netmon is polling via SNMP)

This information will be stored in the /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace file.
That being said, you might find looking through 17,000 IP addresses
a bit tedious;-)

Paul

Larry Fagan wrote:

Gentlemen,
I have gone through tons of info in list on this
topic. But i just need a simple answer for my
configuration. I have set timeout=5 retries=3
polling=3m. Now can some one tell how the polling
works in this case? how does netmon poll fo rup and
down's? My second question is, I have about 17,000 interfaces
to be polled in my DB. Does the polling to all these
interfaces happens sequentially or simulataneously?
How can i check if all my nodes are being polled? Is
there a way to see all of my nodes are polled?
I'm really exhausted looking into this.
Please could someone help me? Many Thanks as usual.
Larry