Re: [nv-l] Polling Intervals Info!

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Polling Intervals Info!
From: Paul Stroud <nvladmin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:12:39 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:13:25 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Larry,

How do i check to see how many devices are being
polled at any given thread ?

Only a single device will be polled per thread and by default
there are 16 threads(for ICMP and 16 more for SNMP). So at any
given time, by default, you may be polling up to 32 devices. You can increase the number of threads...

How can i change the fixed thread to poll more devices
at one given time?

There are two options on netmon -q and -Q(little q is ICMP)
where you can increase the number of threads. I would not suggest taking this number above 2x default which would be
32.

Paul

Larry Fagan wrote:

Paul..
Question?
How do i check to see how many devices are being
polled at any given thread ?
How can i change the fixed thread to poll more devices
at one given time?
Thanks,
Larry

--- Paul Stroud <nvladmin@gmail.com> wrote:

Larry,
This is actually pretty simple;-)

With the polling set as you have it:

netmon will poll each device once every three
minutes, it will
wait 5 seconds for a reply and will try a total of 4
times per
device if there are any failures.

For the question about how netmon polls(sequential
vs simultaneous),
the answer is yes. Netmon has a fixed(but
configurable) number of
threads available for polling, for each ICMP and
SNMP. So netmon will
poll X number of devices at the same time and then
all devices as it gets
around to them.

To see the list of devices being polled you can run:

netmon -a 12 (to see what netmon is polling via
ICMP)
netmon -a 16 (to see what netmon is polling via
SNMP)

This information will be stored in the
/usr/OV/log/netmon.trace file.
That being said, you might find looking through
17,000 IP addresses
a bit tedious;-)

Paul

Larry Fagan wrote:

Gentlemen,
I have gone through tons of info in list on this
topic. But i just need a simple answer for my
configuration. I have set timeout=5 retries=3
polling=3m. Now can some one tell how the polling
works in this case? how does netmon poll fo rup and
down's? My second question is, I have about 17,000
interfaces
to be polled in my DB. Does the polling to all
these
interfaces happens sequentially or simulataneously?
How can i check if all my nodes are being polled?
Is
there a way to see all of my nodes are polled?
I'm really exhausted looking into this.
Please could someone help me? Many Thanks as usual.
Larry