RE: [nv-l] Polling Intervals Info!

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Polling Intervals Info!
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:05:55 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:17:39 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Larry, there are a few nuances to consider when talking about "false down" alerts.  Here are a couple items we talked about in the early days of NetView education -- pre-Tivoli NetView Version 3 back in the mid nineties.  The comments are current but the concepts haven't changed.

1.  NetView does not really tell you when the device is down; only that NetView can't talk to it.  Luckily this is almost the same thing.  At my location the network engineers distinguish between real failures and false alarms by checking the system up time. Route Fault Isolation and Switch Analyzer activity usually clears up false alarms within the minute.  On the wide area network our false alarms are usually circuit problems.

2. When NetView indicates that the device is down and it really isn't there is still a problem.  It might be a slow circuit on a remote device or an overloaded switch or router.  ICMP and SNMP can be thrown away if a device is too busy so the "false down" alert may be an early warning of an overloaded device or circuit.  I've seen a slow response result in NetView timing out one SNMP response in a chain and throwing away the "extra" one at the end of the sequence so that it appears we have one interface on the device down.  Our NetView server was too slow and overloaded to keep up.  We could either lengthen the timeout or get a new server.  The new server is great.

3. Setting your parameters for NetView is a trade-off between rapid response, system overhead and false alarms.  Whoever set the ten minute delay in your TEC rules wanted to reduce false alarms. A similar delay can be set in the NetView Rulesets.  Our installation would rather see the false alarms at the moment.  Your mileage may vary but it sounds like your consumers would rather timely. Setting your simultaneous polling value increases overhead but gives a faster completion of the polling cycle.  Increasing your timeouts and wait time reduces false alarms at the cost of timeliness.  Too many timeouts and long wait times may cause the time to complete the polling cycle to exceed the length of the polling cycle.  Finding the right balance is the art in NetView.

4. An "industry standard" for polling nodes doesn't exist.  The NetView for Unix default is five minutes.  The NetView for Windows default is twenty minutes.  At my installation we use the Unix default but have a couple special devices we poll every one minute; those are the gateways to the internet. We also notify our hands-on personnel on every Router Up/Down/Marginal event immediately and on Switch Down/Up events for large switches in the infrastructure. These are e-mails to Blackberry devices.  Our peripheral devices (switches in hall closets) currently do not have automatic notifications.  If a closet switch fails our operations center passes on the request by e-mail.

Bill Evans