Re: [NV-L] Hostname Missing

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Hostname Missing
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:26:24 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:27:05 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Well, Larry, you are learning about the dangers of working with the
tecad_nv6k adapter.  There are parse errors in the CDS file you built and
you are going to have to find them and correct them before it will start.
I hope you have a backup.  If not, create one now, remove all your changes,
then rename the files so that the backup becomes your tecad_nv6k.cds.  Then
start looking for syntax errors in that original file.
When you think you've found the problem then you can switch the files back.

You can also get the adapter to help you find them perhaps by editing the
tecad_nv6k.err file and having the parser send more messages to the log,
like this
#
# MODULE = PARSER
#
PARSER  MINOR    /usr/ov/log/nvtecad.log
PARSER  MAJOR     /usr/ov/log/nvtecad.log
PARSER  FATAL     /usr/ov/log/nvtecad.log
PARSER  LOW      /usr/ov/log/nvtecad.log
PARSER  NORMAL  /usr/ov/log/nvtecad.log
PARSER  VERBOSE  /usr/ov/log/nvtecad.log

You could even send them to a different file
#
# MODULE = PARSER
#
PARSER  MINOR    /usr/ov/log/tecad.parser.log
PARSER  MAJOR     /usr/ov/log/tecad.parser.log
PARSER  FATAL     /usr/ov/log/tecad.parser.log
PARSER  LOW      /usr/ov/log/tecad.parser.log
PARSER  NORMAL  /usr/ov/log/tecad.parser.log
PARSER  VERBOSE  /usr/ov/log/tecad.parser.log

Those line numbers may or may not match where the real problem is. But they
might be close.  I'd be looking to make sure that all my SELECT and MAP
statements ended in a semi-colon.

Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

             Larry Fagan
             <larrytechie@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Tivoli NetView Discussions
             nv-l-bounces@list         <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
             s.ca.ibm.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/02/2008 03:25          Re: [NV-L] Hostname Missing
             PM

             Please respond to
                Larry Fagan
             <larrytechie@yaho
              o.com>; Please
                respond to
              Tivoli NetView
                Discussions
             <nv-l@lists.ca.ib
                  m.com>

James,
Thanks for MIBS. Appreciate it...
I did exactly as you told me to do initially.
used Mib2trap for CPQHLTH.mib .. This created CDS, OID and BAROC files.
So added all the OID's in tecad_oid file. And i added CDS file content into
tecad_nv6k file.
Now my tecad_nv6k service does NOT start up.. It says state "NOT RUNNING".
When i check the nvtecad.log trace file I get bunch of errors as below:

Wed Jul 02 21:15:12 2008   MAJOR: PARSER , err 00,          parse.y line
1595: Parser \usr\ov\conf/tecad_nv6k.cds:syntax error on line 2807 current
keyword "MAP"

Wed Jul 02 21:15:12 2008   MAJOR: PARSER , err 00,          parse.y line
1595: Parser \usr\ov\conf/tecad_nv6k.cds:syntax error on line 2814 current
keyword "MAP"

Wed Jul 02 21:15:12 2008   MAJOR: PARSER , err 00,          parse.y line
1595: Parser \usr\ov\conf/tecad_nv6k.cds:syntax error on line 2821 current
keyword "MAP"

Wed Jul 02 21:15:12 2008   MAJOR: PARSER , err 00,          parse.y line
1595: Parser \usr\ov\conf/tecad_nv6k.cds:syntax error on line 2828 current
keyword "MAP"

Wed Jul 02 21:15:12 2008   MAJOR: PARSER , err 00,          parse.y line
1595: Parser \usr\ov\conf/tecad_nv6k.cds:syntax error on line 4049 current
keyword ""

Wed Jul 02 21:15:12 2008   MAJOR: PARSER , err 01, .\parse_config.c line
0859: Kernel config file <(null)> could not be parsed
Wed Jul 02 21:15:12 2008   FATAL: DRVSPEC, err 01,      driver_ov.c line
2047: Can not initialize kernel

Any idea what it is?

Many Thanks,
Larry