Re: [NV-L] Hostname Missing

To: Larry Fagan <larrytechie@yahoo.com>, Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Hostname Missing
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:40:41 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:42:33 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Well, on Windows you would have to configure the trapfrwd daemon to forward
traps to your AIX machine, and then configure that to send to TEC using a
ruleset.  If you already had the AIX to TEC link working, then yes, it
probably would have been easier just to forward  the traps from Windows to
AIX.

But that all begs the question, "Why on earth would someone who has a
working NetView on an AIX system move to Windows?"  Not only  is the effort
high, it's like trading in your SUV for a subcompact.  It's fine if you
want to save gas (or cost) but you cannot tow nearly as much with the
subcompact.  Anyone who needed the robustness and versatility of NetView on
AIX will find the Windows version very constraining.

Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

             Larry Fagan
             <larrytechie@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Tivoli NetView Discussions
             nv-l-bounces@list         <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
             s.ca.ibm.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/11/2008 01:28          Re: [NV-L] Hostname Missing
             PM

             Please respond to
                Larry Fagan
             <larrytechie@yaho
              o.com>; Please
                respond to
              Tivoli NetView
                Discussions
             <nv-l@lists.ca.ib
                  m.com>

James,
I applied the Fix and I'm back in business. Very much appreciate your
help.. One last question though..
Would it be easier If i had to forward traps to my netview on AIX and take
it from there to TEC as I'm already doing it.?
Just a thought.. Have  a good weekend..
Larry