Re: netview/solaris and x-windows pcs?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview/solaris and x-windows pcs?
From: "S. John Banner" <jbanner@UVIC.CA>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:17:51 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

   You need to log into the Unix box where you are running NetView (server
or client doesn't matter, so long as there is a server running that the
clients know about), set your DISPLAY variable to point to the NT box where
you are running the XServer, and run the NetView GUI.  It is that simple.
Really.

   The biggest thing that you need to worry about in this configuration (as
with any NetView configuration really) is that the UNIX box has enough
memory for the number of GUIs that you will be running (we have each of our
users run the NetView client on an inexpensive AIX workstation, rather than
cranking up the memory and CPU on the NetView server machine, and then run
our desktops with NT, and at least 128Megs of memory, to keep the paging
down there too).

                                                sjb.