Re: netview/solaris and x-windows pcs?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview/solaris and x-windows pcs?
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:26:12 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
long-winded explanation follows....

Pretend you had a second Unix box (mybox) with Motif on it. You would
open an xterm (or aixterm) window and telnet to the Netview server and
login. Then you would export your display (export DISPLAY=mybox:0.0)
and type in nv6000 and the map would come up on the glass at mybox. The
process behind that is /usr/OV/bin/ovw, but that ovw is running on the
Netview server. There is one set of background daemons, as seen with
ovstatus, but there is also one ovw process per map user. (Users may be
using different maps, or the same map. If the same map, one gets it r/w
and the others get it r/o. See manual for controlling access).

The X (or Motif) is the part that provides the fancy graphics. The widgets
and the frames and all. There must be a 'server' to put that up on the
glass. In the preceding example, that is provided by the Motif on mybox.
If you are on the local Netview server, it is provided by Motif on the
server.

You can take another step away and instead of telneting to the Netview
Server, you can telnet to a Netview Client. That Client is something
you installed via Tivoli when you installed the Netview Server. The
daemons still run on the Netview Server. The ovw process runs on the
Netview Client. Your telnet session from mybox starts another ovw on the
Netview Client. Netview provides communication between the Netview Client
and Netview Server. The telnet business is all the same as in the first
example.

Now you want to do your telnet from a PC. A PC does not natively have
Motif on it. You can telnet to the Netview Server (or Client), and you
can export the DISPLAY, but if you run nv6000, you will get an error that
it could not open the display or could not start something. You need
something to emulate X (emulate Motif). So you put on eXceeds or Chameleon
or some other X emulator to provide that service on the PC.

I set one up from scratch just last week. After installing the eXceed
product, we used the Client Wizard to define a session to the Netview
server. By default it set up an REXEC session. We altered that to use
Telnet instead, and provide the login and password. The command that
it set up to be executed was 'aixterm' and passed it the -d flag with
a variable that automatically determined the ip address of the pc and
caused the DISPLAY variable to be set at login. When we used that
icon, it opened a telnet session with the Netview server, and all we
had to do was type in nv6000 and the map came right up. The reason we
used Telnet rather than rexec was so that the .profile and .kshrc would
be executed automatically at login, ensuring a correct environment for
running nv6000. If we had added the -e flag to the aixterm command, we
could have told it to execute 'nv6000' at startup as well. If we were
going to Solaris, I imagine that the command would be xterm vs aixterm.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I received similar responses confirming that chameleon/exceed-type
products worked with netview/unix - my question remains, how?  That is,
what
exactly is one running through an x-windows package?  For example, is one
connecting via x-windows to the sun machine to run a seperate instance of
the netview client (or server?)  Thanks for demystifying this procedure for
me - Oliver Grant