Re: netview/solaris and x-windows pcs?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview/solaris and x-windows pcs?
From: "Ken Garst." <KGarst@GIANTOFMARYLAND.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:46:44 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I second the comments from sjb in that we are using Exceed95 from Win95PCs
to connect to an AIX host running NetView.
The way Exceed works is to do a telnet into the host and then execute the
command specified in the Exceed connect menu.
In our case here is the command:

/usr/lpp/X11/bin/aixterm -display @a:@# -geometry 90x50 -fn 7x13b -bg White
 -fg Black &

As you can see from the command, Exceed95 is executing an aixterm session.
  Once the session is started, the user activates
a NetView session by typing "nv6000" from the comand line of their Aixterm
session.

Note that a user can shutdown their PC and disconnect the Aixterm socket
but their NetView session will still be running.  Periodically
I execute nvsec_admin from the NetView host and "logoff" these orphan
sessions.