RE: [nv-l] Trying to upgrade to 7.1.4

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Trying to upgrade to 7.1.4
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:21:32 -0400
Cc: "'Ray Westphal'" <westphal2002@charter.net>
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:32:51 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

Ray,
You cannot run snmpget nor any other NetView command when nvsecd is down.
The first thing any of NetView's binary's does is to check with nvsecd to see if you are authorized to run the command.  If nvsecd is not running, you are not authorized. You should see this behavior on all of your NetView servers.

Use /usr/OV/security/cmds/snmpget_unsecure if you really need to run snmpget with nvsecd stopped...
There are several other snmp commands and a README in that directory too.
Only root can execute these.

This is just a guess from past experiences.....
Is your community name something other than public on the NetView server?
Try allowing public just during the install.

Don Davis

First Citizens Bank
Raleigh, NC.  27603-3526